Sunday, June 12, 2011

Quinoa for breakfast??

Quinoa is the highest protein grain out there. I often substitute it in place of couscous or rice pilaf. Why quinoa? Well, I have 2 reasons. 1. I love the nutty flavor of the quinoa & 2. foods that are higher in protein help keep us satiated longer than foods that are higher in carbohydrates.

I have experimented with quinoa and came up with one dish that was so yummy; I could eat it in place of oatmeal for breakfast! Have I done it yet? No...I always have Shakeology for breakfast. However, this past winter I often ate oatmeal for lunch at work...now, I'd rather have quinoa!!

Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa

Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup organic raisins (with no preservatives)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions
  • Put 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water into a medium sauce pan; bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover; simmer 10 minutes
  • Add raisins and cinnamon and simmer another 5 minutes, covered
  • Mix well & serve hot! 
 Enjoy!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment